Sunday, April 6, 2014

Modes of Communication

In the west, Arabic has traditionally been taught as a classical language and teachers tended to focus on the interpretive mode. Unfortunately, this approach still tends to predominate in Arabic classes. Arabic is a living language and I believe it should be taught as such. Students must develop active as well as passive skills in MSA, despite the fact that it's no one's first language. To that end, I'm always focusing on ways to get students to produce the language. Always.

At Pacific Arabic we no longer use Al Kitaab for first-year Arabic classes (and good riddance!). Al Kitaab used to take the class away from our teachers. Class meetings would become a matter of correcting homework, and students would engage in interpretive exercises like discerning the topic of an encyclopedia article about New York City. Classroom discussions were invariably in English. I had to force time into class meetings to engage students in conversation practice.

Unfortunately, not all my teachers did this. Some of them could have done more to avoid having the students sit so passively in class. However, things did change in 2008 when we switched to a different text. When we made the switch, I compelled teachers to use a communicative, interactive approach involving role play, dramatization, association and repetitive analogies. Their task was to inject steady doses of vocabulary while keeping things fun and engaging. This was much easier with the new textbook, as students were able to talk about "coffee with/without sugar" and formed their first iDaafas in texts about a trip to Sharjah (fish market, art museum). Our students are working adults and aren't too keen on discussing admissions offices or graduate fellows (the stuff of Al Kitaab).

As I mentioned, I always try to get students to produce the language (verbally and in writing), and use part of every class meeting for conversation practice. As I see it, conversation practice is the one thing students aren't able to do at home so I always consider it a good use of class time. I may be too focused on the interpersonal mode. I suppose I could incorporate activities that engage the interpretive and presentational modes, while continuing to stress active use of the language.

For instance, I could have each student read a weather forecast of a different city for certain certain days in the immediate future. I could then put them in groups to discuss a trip they'll take over the weekend. Which town should they visit, based on the weather? They could then appoint a spokesperson to report to the class on their decision. This would incorporate all three modes: interpretive, interpersonal and presentational.

In a blended environment I could utilize online materials to do the exercise described above. In a fully-online class I could have students interpret the weather from a video before the class meeting. I could then put them into breakout groups in the web-conferencing environment. Finally, students could present their travel decision in the conference. I suppose there's a way to mimic just about any face-to-face activity online. Lots to think about here!

5 comments:

  1. Brother Jamal,

    I am 100% with you about Al-Kitaab. I have to use it in one of the universities I teach in. Two days ago, I was laughing with my students who will finish 12 credits by the middle of May how they know the United Nation in Arabic but don't know the body parts, or what to say in the super market,...etc.

    I don't know what the other book you are using, but I would like to ask you to have a look at a series of books I am using at West Chester University. It is Al-Asas, a great book you can buy from noorart.com.

    Lana iskandarani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. Al Kitaab presents "United Nations" in unit 1, but they don't learn the colors until unit 18 (which is usually covered during the second year of study). It's amazing that a student can take an entire academic year of Arabic and still not know how to say "yellow". (I realize the colors are derived from an uncommon wazn, but I can speak from experience when I say students can handle it.)

      I've been curious about Al-Asas and have considered using it for my middle school groups. I must admit, though, that the very fact that it's available through Noorart gives me pause. It's also available on Amazon, BTW (although with no way to preview the content). Does Al-Asas present the awzaan in a straightforward way? I'd ask if it presents verbs better than Al Kitaab but I think I already know the answer. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks again, Lana. You got me really curious so I just ordered the first two volumes of Al-Asas for review.

      Delete
  2. Salam Jamal,
    It is wonderful that you got rid of the Al-kitaab text book. Personally, I'm still using it for lack of knowledge of other good book and because it is used by the Arab universities that offer summer sessions. Some of my students are interested in those sessions and I have to be consistent with the textbook. I don't like it for the same reason you don't. One other thing I agree with you on is that you concentrate on conversation in the classroom. It is probably the only time for some students that they get to practice Arabic during their school days.
    The activity that you described sounds like fun. I take it it is for first year Arabic level. I assumed that because you mentioned this level in the beginning of your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anahid, I'm not sure it's really necessary to keep using Al Kitaab just because it's ubiquitous in summer programs abroad. Before we abandoned Al Kitaab we did a careful assessment of the new text and determined that it covers all the grammar presented in Al Kitaab vol. 1, and does a much better job presenting awzaan (verbal and otherwise). It also presents much more vocabulary and even more grammar than Al Kitaab vol. 1, including the imperative (which Al Kitaab strangely doesn't present until volume 3). After students complete this text they are quite comfortable transitioning to Al Kitaab, vol. 2 (with no help from Maha)!

      Delete